When I first started playing the guitar, it was a lot of fun, but it's often the case that I gradually lose my motivation while doing it.
Very few people stay motivated forever, and many experience a lack of motivation.
In this article, we'll show you what you can do to increase your motivation to play your guitar or instrument.
When the motivation to play the guitar is low, it is effective to try the following.
- set a goal:
Setting small, easily achievable goals and working towards them can help keep you motivated.
- Learn new songs:
Learning new songs broadens your musical horizons and gives you a sense of fun.
- Play with others instead of practicing alone:
Playing with others is more mutually stimulating and enjoyable than practicing alone.
- Conversely, practice alone as you like:
If you're always playing with other people, it's also important to practice your favorite songs in your own style.
- Join our community:
You can get new ideas by sharing your worries and questions about playing the guitar with people who have the same hobby. Also, interacting with other people will increase your motivation.
- Rest when you don't want to:
When your motivation to play the guitar is low, it is effective to refresh yourself by doing something else. It is also important to take breaks to avoid stress.
- Incorporate tools that you find interesting:
In order to break the rut, it is also important to incorporate interesting items. It would be nice if you could find interesting items by going around musical instrument stores and online shops.
7 things to do to motivate yourself to play the guitar
Let me introduce them in order.
set a goal
Setting small goals is very important to motivate yourself to play guitar. Setting small goals can help you feel progress and keep you motivated.
See below for how to set small goals.
- Set clear goals: It's important to set clear goals, such as 'learn a new song', 'play better with the fretboard', or 'increase finger speed'. .
- Make your goals achievable: It's important to put the right amount of time and effort into reaching your goals.
- Track goals you've achieved: Tracking goals you've achieved can help you feel progress and keep you motivated.
- Re-set goals: Based on the goals you've achieved, you can set new goals and feel continuous progress.
Setting small goals and working towards them can help motivate you to play guitar.
learn new songs
Practicing new songs is a great way to motivate yourself to play the guitar.
Learning new songs broadens your musical horizons and gives you a sense of fun. Also, learning new songs can improve your technique and make you feel self-challenged.
See below for how to practice new songs.
- Choose your favorite song: You can enjoy practicing by choosing your favorite song.
- Learn by playing songs: Learning by playing songs helps you understand them better and remember them better.
- Analyze the structure and structure of a song: By analyzing the structure and structure of a song, you can understand the points of playing the song.
- Play Cover Songs: You can learn the playing styles of other artists by playing cover songs.
- Play songs in your own style: Enjoy self-expression by arranging and playing songs in your own style.
Learning new songs broadens your musical horizons, improves your technique and gives you a sense of self-challenge.
It can increase your motivation.
Also, learning new songs can be fun, which keeps you practicing continuously.
Play with others instead of practicing alone
Playing with others provides mutual stimulation and enjoyment. Also, by playing with others, you can exchange playing ideas and get new ideas.
See below for how to play with others.
- Have a jam session: You can perform with other people by jamming.
- Attend a concert: You can perform with other people by attending a concert.
- Join a school or class: Join a school or class to play with others.
- Playing online: Playing online allows you to play with people in remote locations.
- Join a Community: Joining a guitar-playing community gives you the chance to meet and play with other guitarists and musicians.
Playing with others provides mutual stimulation and enjoyment.
You can also get new ideas by interacting with other people. This will keep you motivated.
On the other hand, practice by yourself as you like.
When I play with others, I often follow the group's ideas and playing styles, but when I practice alone, I can freely play my own ideas and styles. .
Also, by practicing alone, you can concentrate on the parts that you find difficult.
See below for how to practice alone.
- Practice at your own pace: Practicing alone allows you to practice at your own pace.
- Play your own style: Practicing alone allows you to play in your own style.
- Focus on the difficult parts: Practicing alone allows you to focus on the parts that you find difficult.
join the community
Joining a community allows you to interact with other guitarists and musicians, sharing ideas and information about playing. This allows us to get new ideas and improve our techniques.
Participating in the community also gives you the opportunity to have concerts, jam sessions, and other opportunities to perform with others. This allows for mutual stimulation and enjoyment.
In addition, by participating in the community, you can develop your own love for the guitar and get an opportunity to continue practicing.
Participating in a community also gives you the confidence to get help and support from others. It allows you to enjoy self-expression and increase your motivation.
Joining a community helps you improve your skills, get new ideas, have fun, keep practicing, and build confidence.
rest when you don't want to
Resting when you're feeling down is a good way to motivate and keep you motivated to play the guitar.
Doing the same thing for long periods of time can leave you feeling tired and unmotivated.
In such a state, resting can help you get rid of fatigue and get new energy.
It's also important to be kind to yourself and get the rest you need when you don't feel like it.
By doing so, you can refresh your body and mind and get new energy.
Incorporate tools that you find interesting
Finding interesting tools and adopting them is a great way to motivate yourself to play the guitar.
Incorporating new tools will give you a new approach to playing and will increase your interest in playing.
For example, using new picks, new effects pedals, or playing new songs can bring new challenges to your playing.
Learning other instruments and listening to new music can also help you get new ideas.